Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wellwood Stores

There's lots of talk about old retail on the internet, but not much about Maine stores. This is the logo for the Wellwood Co, which was in business for about 45 years, selling out to CVS, and other pharmacy chains, in 1985. I managed their stores at Northgate Shopping Center in Portland and Towers Plaza in Melrose, MA (now Brooks/Rite-Aid), from 1980-1985.

Wellwood's was basically like a Woolworth store and often located in the early suburban strip centers built by Shaw's Supermarkets. Shaw's would anchor one end of the center with Wellwood anchoring the other end. Between the two stores, there were typically a bank, barber shop, hardware store, drug store and an Owen Moore store. Wellwood Stores ranged in size from about 6,000-15,000 sq feet.

Founded by C.K. Wood and G.F. Wells, the original stores were small downtown locations in Somersworth, NH and Saco, ME. Upon their retirement in the late 70s, the chain was sold to hardware wholesaler Emery-Waterhouse. In the early 80s, Wellwood purchased several of the independant pharmacies in their shopping centers, moving them inside their stores. During this time, they also purchased the Lovell's chain of 6 drug stores, running them as a seperate unit.

Attracted by the pharmacy business and prime locations, CVS bought most of the chain in 1985, with Norwood and Melrose being sold to Brook's Drug.

Wellwood Store locations when I was there, and their app. opening dates:

Maine:
Northgate Shopping Center, Portland, ME (1957)
Saco Valley Shopping Center, Saco, ME (1960)
Millcreek Shopping Center, So. Portland, ME (1962)*
Falmouth Shopping Center, Falmouth, ME (1964)
Westgate Shopping Center, Portland, ME (1967)*
Bath Shopping Center, Bath, ME (1978)*
Main Street, Fort Fairfield, ME (1983)*
Lovell's Super Drug Chain, 6 locations (Acquired 1983)
NH:
Durham Shaw's Plaza, Durham, NH (1979)
Massachusetts:
Sunrise Shopping Center, Lowell, MA (1959)
Towers Plaza, Melrose, MA (1965 & 1966)
Nahatan Shopping Center, Norwood, MA (1968)
* Added pharmacy in the early 80's

5 comments:

Rik said...

I used to go to the Norwood one ...it was down the street from where I lived. I would really like to see some pictures of it if anybody has any.

Rik said...

I used to go to the Norwood one ...it was down the street from where I lived. I would really like to see some pictures of it if anybody has any.

Rik said...

I used to go to the Norwood one ...it was down the street from where I lived. I would really like to see some pictures of it if anybody has any.

Unknown said...

My father managed the Northgate location in the late sixties and was relocated to Lowell in the seventies, which is where my brother and I grew up. It's amazing that an online search of Wellwoods yields almost no information. Over the years, I've tried to explain to my wife, who lived most of her life here in Portland, about these stores, but she keeps thinking I'm referring to Woolworths!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information! It helped clarify what I remembered about Wellwoods.

Jeff Vincent